PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-4
Thread: Stansted-4
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2024, 23:01
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
Well that made my day and many thanks for sharing my good friend.

It's a shame though that it wasn't posted here on pprune sooner considering that others were aware of the fact that it's been available for a while.

Especially as your goodself only asked about it here on this thread only a few weeks ago. 🙄

The CGI video gives a great impression of what the terminal layout will look like but one thing that struck me was the fact that the maintenance building for the transit is still in position.

I still can't understand why a Satellite 4 is not part of the redeveloped terminal project. But once completed it will definitely make the whole experience of travelling through STN very different in many respects than previously.

I look forward to seeing this project progress as it moves forward.
no worries at all my friend, and always a pleasure to hear from you I agree- it is frustrating that people had supposedly known about this being made available beforehand when I had previously put the question out to the thread re. More info on the terminal transformation project a few weeks back 🤦‍♂️

Based on the video and the general info, I have a few points:

• The immigration/arrivals hall is supposedly being relocated to the lower level, but where exactly is this? (STN’s terminal is single level only, so where is the space that consists of this “lower level” to be able to accommodate the new immigration hall). I’m assuming it’ll (hopefully) be bigger than the current facility?

• Satellites: no mention at all on whether there is any work (modernisation) due to be carried out for satellites 2 and 3. I think pre-Covid, there was a programme in place to modernise satellite 2 to similar standards of satellite 1- there is a web page somewhere confirming this. However, this was either put on hold or scrapped, and since then, there has been no info on what MAG plan on doing to update the passenger gate areas in the satellites.

• satellite 4: like you, I’m genuinely surprised there isn’t a fourth satellite featured in the TTP, considering STN has been the fastest recovering airport in London as far as pre-pandemic passenger volumes are concerned. It is busier now that ever before, so I’m mystified as to why MAG have chosen not to invest in more gate areas and facilities?

• transit maintenance building: agreed, I’m not sure why this is still be retained, considering there will no longer be a TTS once the project is completed?

I too hope that MAG will actually stick to this plan and deliver upon it, while focusing on improving the passenger experience at STN. The airport has always had great infrastructure and a nice, modern, airy terminal building, but sadly MAG made a real pigs ear of the first transformation project (2013-2015) when they took over, so I’m hoping that this time, the terminal extension can be used to showcase improvements for the passenger Will also be interesting to see what walking times will be like with the new skylinks in place to/from SAT 1 and SAT 2.