PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2024, 00:19
Hollywood1

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rightrudderlol
Hi folks,
Ambiguous & ambitious question here but please bear with me. Any and all advice will be so helpful. I will keep this short.

Me - I am 24, have worked in property since I left high school (no uni) and enjoy flying (did the trial flight and loved it)

My situation - I have accumulated some funds, in the realm of $160,000 - $180,000. My conundrum is how do I go about approaching my avation journey and how to I utilise those funds to best help that journey. My intention would be to study full time and eventually work at an airline down the track. I am located in Auckland, NZ.

Do I;
  • Enrol in a school and go get a student loan (plus pay for any shortfall the student loan wont cover) - Potentially investing the remaining funds whilst training
  • Fly via an aero club and pay the costs as I go
Furthermore, is it in my best interest to pay for a type rating on an aircraft that I would not otherwise get during my training that would help benefit employment opportunities. My questions are endless - whom do you think will give me the better training? Does it matter when/if I apply for roles at an airline? Which one is cheaper? Which one is quicker? The list goes on and on. Again, any advice will be amazing.

To summarise, what would you do if you were in my situation.
Thank you.
If I was in your position, I'd keep your current job and fly privately with a PPL. IMO, flying GA aircraft is a lot more fun than airline flying, flying on autopilot in a straight-line for hours on end.