PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about Logging EASA IFR PIC and Cross country under FAA
Old 1st May 2024, 21:01
MojoATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Logging EASA IFR PIC and Cross country under FAA

Hello folks, I hope my message finds you all well.

I am in the US building time and need to know how EASA looks at cross country simulated time, it seems that EASA member have different interpretation of the rules.
I was told and read here in the forum that I can use all my simulated Instrument cross country time , under FAA Flying under the hood with another safety pilot (CFI or another PPL) could count toward both the cross country and simulated IR and also counts as PIC. I read here in the forums that this time could also count toward building time toward my EASA frozen ATPL.

So I contacted Czech and Austro control, Austro Control sent a generic Email which didn't answer my question but Czech CAA sent the following :"Under EASA system there is only 1 PIC during the flight. Pilot-in-command" (PIC) means the pilot designated as being in command and charged with the safe conduct of the flight. Simulated VMC training flights (flying under the goggles/hood/restrictive vision device) are only allowed with flight instructor and these are dual instruction flight time for the student.

The flight time may be logged as PIC in the following cases:

(i) the holder of a licence may log as PIC time all of the flight time during which he or she is the PIC;

(ii) the applicant for, or holder of, a pilot licence may log as PIC time all solo flight time, flight time as SPIC and flight time under supervision provided that such SPIC time and flight time under supervision are countersigned by the instructor;

(iii) the holder of an instructor certificate may log as PIC all flight time during which he or she acts as an instructor in an aircraft;

(iv) the holder of an examiner’s certificate may log as PIC all flight time during which he or she occupies a pilot’s seat and acts as an examiner in an aircraft;

(v) a co-pilot acting as PICUS on an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or as required by operational requirements provided that such PICUS time is countersigned by the PIC;

(vi) if the holder of a pilot licence carries out a number of flights upon the same day returning on each occasion to the same place of departure and the interval between successive flights does not exceed 30 minutes, such series of flights may be recorded as a single entry;

(vii) where Regulation (EU) No 965/2012 requires the pilot to act as PIC under the supervision of another pilot (supervisor), both the pilot and the supervisor may log the flight time as PIC (this is required for air carriers under AOC).

Kind Regards,"

-According to the previous email, does that mean that my simulated instrument PIC cross country doesn't count at all because it was flown with a regular pilot not a CFI holder ?
-Other question that begs itself, what about when I am the SAFETY pilot, do I log that in my EASA logbook as PIC Cross country since EASA considering the one under the hood nonexistent ? Because under FAA I can only log PIC but not cross country when acting as a "safety pilot"
I most likely will do my license under Austro Control, I am trying to plan ahead as advised and fly good quality cross country hours that fulfills as much as possible of the requirements.
Also what about the 50 IFR hours required for my FAA -EASA CB conversion, if safety pilot is not allowed, and I cant log it as CFII because, does it mean I have to rent a plane solo, file an IFR flight plan to log that for EASA?

Please advise and thanks in advance for your contribution.