PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2024, 06:17
Potatos_69

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R T Jones
I’ve just turned 36, done 14 years at easy with 8 of them in the left seat. Two young kids and a wife not working. I’m joining in a few months onto the 320 with a hope of getting a quick command. I know I’ll be bottom of that list for a while and what that entails, but for me, it’s come down to can I do another 30 years at easyjet. Part time is an option, I’d earn more 75% than I will in the first few years at BA… I’m joining for the long term benefits, the staff travel, long haul, pension! (7 vs 15%). I know I’ll never get to the top of the pay points and probably not see the very top of the seniority tree either. I also live 40 mins from Heathrow so commuting is not a factor, I want to stay in the south east long term as well.
I am nervous if I’m making the right decision, I’m only going to know in 5-10 years I suspect.
the top pay point you’ll get to is 29, on shorthaul including standard pension that’s 240k with the new pay deal (obviously we hope it improves with inflation in the future!) 270k for LH captain.

your first year as a captain PP2 should give you 144k including pension.

both of those are for full time. And while you are SH P1you will spend a good chunk of your career at the bottom of the seniority list which is not ideal for work life balance (75% PT seems to be the cure to work life balance a bit however, and having kids puts you in fairly good stead to get it in time)

40 mins to Heathrow makes doing all the reserves you’ll end up getting more liveable however!