PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair, Hoon et al didn't lie. They honestly believed the dossier.
Old 31st Jan 2004, 03:00
Maple 01

TAC Int Bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So would you consider John Walker to be better suited than you?
Better suited for what?

In a recent poll the BBC had a 60% credibility rating down from 97% pre war, I'd say that was a problem.....The reporter made a big deal about ‘the majority of those questioned supporting the BBC’ until the guy he was interviewing mentioned the 97% figure.

As Tony said

BBC is not supposed to have a agenda,
As for

just from reading Tom Clancy novels
I suggest that's a higher level of research than that carried out buy many journos, remember ‘the Might of the Republican Guard’ © BBC 1991? Remember ‘Quagmire’ © the entire western media 2003, remember ‘Invincible Argentina’© BBC 1982

The point is, western intelligence agencies have all looked at the data assuming Saddam had something to hide. What if he didn't, but was, for reasons of his own, trying to make the world still think he actually had WMD? It would be fairly easy I think to provide some evidence for people who were eager to find it.
Then it's his own stupid fault isn't it? Don't play with the big boys etc

The point is, if we are going to war on the basis of intelligence it has to be 100% certain, and I don't think this was (although I don't work in Intelligence).
Then shock-horror newsflash, Int is NEVER 100% You go with the best information you have. I seem to recall the Int for Nazi Germany's 'final solution' wasn't 100% until the first camp was over-run - perhaps we should have given Adolf the benefit of the doubt? The Int for the Falklands pre-invasion period was ignored because it wasn't 100% so we did nothing and look how that turned out

"would you rather Saddam was still in power?", no I wouldn't, but that isn't the point.
It's exactly the point, we're supposed to be 'A force for world good' is the world better off without him or not? It's a YES/NO question

If as a nation we are instead going to rid the world of all evil tryants then I had better start packing my bags for a trip to Zimbabwe!!!!!!!!!!
And I wouldn't have the sligest problem with liberating the people of Zim either.

Regards

-Nick

Newsflash
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3446391.stm

Embittered caught-out hack resigns