PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian ATPL theory study
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2024, 01:23
JustJoinedToSearch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Climb150
They used to all expire at once.
That's my recollection too, but it also used to be a 3 year window.

Possibly changed to "rolling" when they reduced the window to 2 years.

I had a slightly different strategy than most here have suggested which was to indeed leave flight planning until last.

The reasons I went with this approach were:
  • It means you are very "up to speed" on the study/sit exam cycle having just knocked off 6 of the things. You have probably perfected the technique that works for you by this point.
  • It avoids any possibility of having to pass FP twice. As soon as you click that button and see 'pass' come up you are completely done. No possibility of any expiration.
I personally did self study with the Avery stuff and just a bunch of practice exams under timed conditions and passed comfortably first time.

I have a big boy STEM degree and flight planning was easily the most annoying exam I have ever done. The content isn't particularly difficult or complex but just the crap way it is administered (weird calculator, rules of thumb, answers close together, all or nothing multiple choice etc) make it a pain. Feels more like a right of passage than an actual tool for evaluating knowledge.

But like many things in life you just have to put in the work and you can get it done.