PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USN Shipbuilding Woes
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2024, 09:55
SLXOwft

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggus
Perhaps the USN should be bold, and order some warships from overseas to avoid delays - Ferguson Marine maybe? 😏
Well, as mentioned in the linked POLITICO article their experience with 'doing a (UK) MOD' on a foreign design isn't exactly going well. I posted a link to an article about a year's delay to the FREMM based Constellation in January (I think on the AUKUS thread), thing appear to have got worse. A bit like the Hunters, taking an existing design and changing it, I wait with interest progress on the Canadian Serviuce Combatant (also T26 based)
THE PENTAGON – The lead ship in a new class of guided-missile frigates for the U.S. Navy may be up to three years late, USNI News has learned.
Constellation (FFG-62), under construction at Fincantieri Marinette Marine in Wisconsin, may not deliver to the fleet until 2029, three years later than the original 2026 delivery goal, according to a service shipbuilding review.

The program’s delay came to light as part of the 45-day shipbuilding review that Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro ordered earlier this year.

Source: USNI News: April 2, 2024 updated April 3, 2024