PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2024, 10:41
glidehigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClearenceClarence
After having read numerous posts about how awful it is being a low seniority FO on the 777, I’m starting to have second thoughts 🫣 been offered a 777 course, currently fly for a loco smashing out 4 sector days every other day. It seems like that’s an easier life than junior 777 from what has been said.

Is 28 too old to be joining this fleet in terms of reaping the rewards of seniority gains? Currently single, no kids and joining BA would allow me to get back closer to home. Though on the flip side doing the command upgrade at my current outfit would see me earning a lot more money sooner however I’m conscious on the proverbial golden handcuffs too.
I was in exactly your position when i joined. Same age, single, and wanted to get closer to home. First few years were far more enjoyable, varied and exciting than i had expected. You would get that period of being low seniority out the way at a point in life with minimal commitments, knowing that once the commitments come along, you will be higher up the seniority ladder.

For those with commitments, things like part time are open to all, regardless of seniority. Everyone gets 6 leave/duty free weeks per year of around 10 days at a time. Bottom of the list on the 777 will give plenty of shorter 3 day trips, but will also give some longer trips as others have outlined. It's certainly the long game with a seniority based airline.