PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider crash, two killed, Mt beauty
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2024, 09:17
deeceethree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forgive me for raising the point, but I do feel it needs raising. The title of this thread, "Glider crash, two killed, Mt beauty", isn't helpful to many (most?) readers, because it refers to a location they won't ever have heard of. The thread is also in a section of PPRuNe that is not geographically specific, so there are no first-glance clues as to where this accident occurred. Surely it would be helpful to others if the author added a country, and perhaps a state in the thread title?

Seeing the country included in a thread title, of this nature, would certainly help readers direct their attention to threads of particular interest. If there isn't enough room to include state and country in a title, perhaps confine the specific "Mt beauty" location to the opening line of a post. For example, a title of 'Glider accident Victoria, Australia; 2 fatalities' quickly guides those who wish to read further, with the precise location better kept for the the opening post itself?

Whilst not applicable to this thread, it is similar to threads that announce themselves as, for example, 'Aircraft Accident today at Big Airport'. The use of the word 'today' is meaningless, once the calendar moves on. Better to use the specific date, so that if the thread is still active, even months or years later, readers can quickly and easily see, from the thread title, whether it is today, recent, or quite some time ago. I will add that, due to the way North America tends to format dates, it is far less confusing if writers use the name of the month, rather than the number of the month e.g. '10th May 1979' or 'May 10th 1979' are far quicker to mentally process. However, written as '10/05/1979' or '05/10/1979', things just get confusing.

Just to be clear, I mean no disrespect to the people closely involved in the tragic event highlighted by this thread, but contributors shouldn't forget that it is a world-wide forum, and how they write can be just as important as the subject they write about.

EDIT: As it turns out, there is a duplicate thread in The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions section.

Last edited by deeceethree; 28th Apr 2024 at 09:33.