PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2024, 10:48
Busdriver01

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrNoName1997
Is anyone able to provide any light on this really open ended question - applying for SH but I'm really comfortable with the SH airline I'm currently with and so I'm holding out for LH. I've heard there's still spaces for the LH fleet but they said they want 1500 hours on type by the time of the sim. Now I'm about 50 hours away from 1500 hours on type and so my question is this, the sim assessors, are they quite chilled normal guys/girls? Would they say no to LH if you were about to hit your 1500 hours very soon but not by the time of the sim?
If you're only 50 hours away then i'd just wait - surely going into summer schedule you'll get those 50hrs in less than a month, so by the time a sim slot is actually available you'll be good to go?

Originally Posted by MrNoName1997
Additionally, has anyone told BA when offered SH that they only want LH and then been able to negotiate it?
Thank you in advance, John
Depends if you were marked as 'suitable for long haul' in the sim or not. Seems ridiculous, but because training resource is so scarce (especially on LH) if they're even remotely worried you may need more sectors to complete line training, they'll send you to SH first where training is easier to complete due to the number of sectors you fly. If you're 'suitable for long haul' but they offer you short haul (and you'll need to discuss if thats the case or not as they wont tell you up front usually) you can always say you'd rather wait for a LH slot, but at the demise of your seniority number and as you already allude to, what if no LH slots come up for a while?