PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft reported down at Leeds East (Church Fenton)
Old 27th Apr 2024, 09:32
Xray4277

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biscuit74
I count 12 vehicles there. A couple of years back a friend overran the end of a grass runway and inverted his aircraft, right in front of us. (We were running up our aircraft at the time) ,He was unhurt.and no smoke or fire, but was stuck. My wife called for a fire engine to help us get him out. (He asked for as little fuss as possible) Over the next 45 minutes 13 emergency vehicles turned up, including a rescue helicopter. Naturally, photographers pitched up too !

Only one vehicle got seriously stuck, but trying to stop the police from setting up an 'exclusion zone' around the area was a challenge. Hard to avoid them making a big event out of it - they naturally presume the worst. So maybe this order of response is to be expected.

Our friend was lucky, being uninjured. I hope the folks in this accident recover OK.
Looks like yet another example of how this country has lost all sense of proportion and how common sense has been 'bred out' of people. Even if there is a standard 'worst case' response, there should be no reason why the majority of those emergency vehicles were not stood down once the reality of the situation was clear. I'm sure there were other things they could have doing elsewhere.