PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines, Airports, Routes - and climate change
Old 26th Apr 2024, 11:33
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cannot deny that the UK, & others have made great efforts to address the power generation problem. The question is, “is it enough ?” It probably isn’t, at the moment. We have to more than redouble our efforts in this area. The depressing realization is that there are so many more dimensions to address in our attempt to stop (or even, reverse) global warming. The list is practically endless; & addressing it seriously & effectively will demand so many sacrifices from us , as regards our current & future lifestyles, that I fear that the requisite changes will not prove acceptable without strong government direction & imposition; & equally strong civil resistance & severe social unrest. For instance, what will happen if we in the UK &, what is referred to as “the west”, make all the changes required of us, & the Chinese , Indians, Russians etc. , whoever, decide not to ? I can only see, in that instance, impoverished Western economies which cannot compete with those that don’t change in the same way that we MIGHT; resulting in civil unrest here & war against those “unco-operative societies” who refuse to do anything meaningfully appropriate, & who carry on as before (with much stronger economies than we have, as a result). My understanding of the situation , & the likely response to it, is that what is necessary is going to be unobtainable - for so many different reasons - that we are already past the “point of no return”.
I may be wrong, but there are SO MANY humans doing such stupid things & reluctant to consider adjusting their lifestyle aspirations significantly downwards - & I am one of them- that we will not address this situation with the gravity & expedition that it requires.