PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 26th Apr 2024, 07:42
mahogany bob

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts
Today, America prizes air superiority in its approach to warfare, but there's a growing sentiment among many within the defense apparatus that dogfights, or close-quarters air-air combat are things of the past

Given that dogfights are increasingly unlikely I find it difficult to be persuaded that small expensive agile fighters - F35 - are needed.

Surely larger less agile ( cheaper ) still stealthy aircraft carrying more weapons and sensors -and able to stay on task for much longer - could win the over the horizon air battle and thus achieve air superiority ?

They could also keep further away from the ever more sophisticated ground to air defences?

Hopefully great minds are worrying about this ( and the Question of whether drones can replace manned aircraft ) but with money short and an increase in defence spending looming the more discussion on defence expenditure the better.

I fear that inter service rivalry ( Navy Carriers for instance ) and selfish interests still influence important and costly decisions.

Put this on F35 thread also - sorry for repetition but I am sure that many Army and Navy big ticket future purchases are worthy of maximum discussion before the money is spent!