PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2024, 14:51
CVividasku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker

This is the sort of thing that F/Os need to be able to deal with, (and all Captains need to be aware of), but in years of CRM courses, I have never seen it properly addressed. Cabin crew are given specific training and role playing about how to deal with angry or unreasonable passengers but I have never seen F/Os trained to deal with angry or unreasonable Captains.
I don't buy your scenario, the F/O voluntarily retracted the gear because he wanted to go around, but didn't anything about either going around nor retracting the gear.

However your last point is more than valid.
At my airline we received some guidance to help us deal with overwhelmed captains. And some advice about what to do with this type of behavior. Not a huge training but definitely some guidance.
It does not resemble in any way or form to manipulating important controls in the back of the captain and trying to take decisions in his back. On the contrary, in the end you have to work as a team until the airplane is landed. Then, once safely at the gate, not one minute before that, you will make as many reports as you need and call management to explain why you don't want to fly with the guy anymore.

I know first hand accounts from friends, of pilots using this type of method in very exceptional cases.