PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrow IV W&B CG Too Forward
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2024, 07:45
Jhieminga

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Laserlaser
Blessings everyone. I just saw this chat and joined. a little about me. A&P IA own Avio Fix Pro LLC, GA aircraft Maintenance. I just installed a Factory new Continental Engine on this Piper Turbo Arrow IV and went from a 2 blade propeller to a 3 blade Simitar McCauley. all flies well but the owner that has been flying the aircraft for over 30 years stated that the performance is awesome but has to pull back on the yoke more as you guys stated and it caught my attention the forward cg scenario, the new engine is definitely beefier and 3 blade propeller is heavier. definitely a forward cg situations. i will perform a weight and balance but if so nose heavy. do I add ballast in the baggage compartment. your input is totally appreciated. thank you Gents.
No doubt you did this conversion (assuming that a beefier engine and different prop were not in the TCDS) with reference to a specific STC. The paperwork for that should include a bit about the effects of the modification to the W&B of the aircraft and the performance. If it is an older STC they may have been a bit sloppy and just stated that everything stays the same, even if it doesn't. If you have doubts about the W&B of the post-conversion aircraft, I would keep it on the ground until you can get this checked. Ballasting the rear end may well be a solution, but that in itself is a modification that needs to be signed off I think... Perhaps a chat with a local DAR might be useful.