PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Masters of the Air
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2024, 15:20
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
RAF Bomber Command and the USAAF 8th Air Force suffered horrendous losses as each conducted operations against the Axis Forces.

Can we not just accept that every effort to portray their service and sacrifice during the War is always going to have shortcomings and variation from actual events?

I wish the Duxford Museum footpath leading to the entrance to the American hangar has glass panels opposite those for the American losses.

That walk is sobering as it is ....and to add the symbols of an equal loss by the RAF would an effective way to note the numbers of Men lost in the bombing campaign in Europe.

A close family friend did thirty missions as a pilot on Lancaster's and a next door neighbor did twenty five missions as a navigator on Liberators so I was blessed to have a couple of Men who could teach me about their experiences.

One was in the RCAF and the other the 8th Air Force.....both were Americans.

Hollywood is not known for its adherence to historical fact so we should factor that into our evaluation of the series and not give much weight to what it gets wrong but appreciate it done and helps us to understand what those brave Men endured during the War.
The following 5 users liked this post by SASless: