PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 320 single-engine taxi-out
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2024, 10:08
RudderTrimZero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PENKO
If you think that starting an engine whilst taxying is an incredible amount of workload, then I understand why you think it’s not worth it on most airports. Single engine taxi is the default in our manual. And also in my own personal preference: start one engine unless…

The more you do it, the less of a perceived additional workload it becomes.
PENKO,
I find your remark quite silly. The workload definitely increases when performing SETO. It's not just about moving the Master Switch to ON is it? PM has to monitor the engine start AND look out during taxi, AND communicate. He then performs After Start checklist whilst dealing with yet more interruptions from ATC. PF has to stop looking out for a moment to confirm the THS setting. Flight control checks can't be done until engine has fully started and flow done. Then one finds themselves being given priority for take off and rushing through the Taxi checklist, cabin confirmation all the while with the usual interruptions from ATC. Yes, we should all find a way to manage workload but it's not all down to us is it? I'm not saying SETO is unsafe, just saying there's a time and place and you're not going to convince me that 1 minute less of Engine 2 running is worth the increase in workload. I'm interested to learn at which airports you operate from because most of the places we operate from we would be saving a minute at best.

Last edited by RudderTrimZero; 25th Apr 2024 at 07:53.