PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Masters of the Air
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2024, 06:27
SimonK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn’t that impressed tbh and the subject matter is right up my street being a history nut. Some of it was fantastically immersive - such as the scene when the crews are all starting the engines and it switches from plane to plane through the checklist. But, a lot of the aerial combat and even some of the flying sequences looked totally artificial (which of course it was). It reminded me of Star Wars but with B17s. The characters were good though and I thought it was well acted. The Tuskagee airmen part had a feel of an add on and should be a separate dedicated series imho, as there is way too much to cover and it is so important.

I do get a bit sniffy about the needless anti-English and anti-raf scenes, which seem to be thrown in totally without any context or background. I’m reading the very wonderful book at the moment which covers these issues in a very non-partisan way, including the appalling racism of the black airmen by the whites which is ignored - probably because it would make our square jawed heroes look bad and that’s what the RAF are here for. Clearly the native brits were of their time too but the book covers how much better the African Americans were treated by us horrible brits.

So, my conclusion it’s a lazy adaptation of a wonderful book with a wholly white American bias about how wonderful they were and how useless we were. It’s a shame as it takes away from the towering achievements of the 8th AF and it’s men by needlessly elevating them at the expense of their erstwhile allies, who had been fighting and dying in large numbers for well over 2 years before they showed up. Chuck Yeager would be proud no doubt. Read the book instead.
The following users liked this post: