PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group Training Academy at Wellcamp
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 20:34
Climb150

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
I know people flying in the Middle East, Asia and USA etc who all paid for the flying training in Australia via HELP loans. None of these people have any intention of returning to Australia to pay it back. These where the ones who managed to find a job. Most say very few people they trained with where still in aviation 3 years after they finished.

Also, I got my CPL a few years before you could get HELP loans for it. Everyone I trained with had saved for a few years to come up with the money. We were a mixed bunch from ages 22 to 30. We all had worked in either mining/transport/trades etc and one guy had been in the Army. All the people I started with finished CPL. I don't recall anybody talking about a pilot shortage. Qlink at the time wanted 2500 total with 500 multi PIC and 100 night command.

When I went in North looking for work the majority of people seemed to be from NZ. After looking in NZ for a job they ended up in Oz. All of these people seemed to have gotten the NZ Govt to fund their CPL.

Fast forward a few years and my school had HELP loan funding. Every 6 months a class of 30 would arrive. All had just finished Yr12 and thought they would go straight to Qantas when they finished. They soon realise this probably won't happen and many drop out.

Even if a kid drops out, the school charges then the full amount for CPL training which goes on the HELP debt.

It is a rort and must be stopped. It is being taken advantage of by schools and students.

Last edited by Climb150; 23rd Apr 2024 at 21:42.
The following 2 users liked this post by Climb150: