PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Masters of the Air
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2024, 07:28
Stuck On The Ground

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
OK, finally got around to watching the series (I needed to replace my I-Phone, and the new one came with a complementary three-month subscription to AppleTV).
First couple episodes left me a bit cold, but it grew on me as it went, and I literally could barely wait to watch the final episode. The ended does seem rather rushed - apparently due to the two missing episodes, and the Tuskegee Airmen bit felt a little like it was forced in to make the politically correct crowd happy (although, again, that could be at least in part to the missing episodes).
Didn't realize until the ending that the main characters were based on real people - that should make a re-watch more interesting.
Too much CGI for my liking, and I agree the attacking fighters appear to be going unrealistically fast (based on the real footage I've seen) - and disappointed that they didn't 'upgrade' the B-17s to the 'G' standard.
I also don't think it's as good as Band of Brothers, but since I consider BoB to be arguably the best WWII "movie" ever, that's a pretty high bar. Put it roughly on a par with "The Pacific".
Given I've re-watched BoB countless times (I have it on Blu-Ray), I'll need to give 'Masters' another look before my AppleTV runs out.

As I've not read the book, can I assume this is an endorsement that I should correct that?
It's a big old lump of a book and it's several years since I read it, but it makes a good companion to reading about Bomber Command.