PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL in the US
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2024, 10:11
papaW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for both your quick replies, it's nice to talk some actual people about this.
Just as you suggested Bob, I got my medical class 1 some time ago, so as to not waste my time (this was before I decided not to go down the ATPL route after all). Thanks for looking out.

My initial plan (based on nothing more than my own thoughts) was to do everything in the states, over a period of around 4-6 months. I realize now, that as you both suggest I can instead complete some/all(?) EASA written exams in Norway instead of having my face buried in theory the first month or so of my time abroad :P If pursuing the EASA written's in Norway, I assume I just sign up for either physical or remote ground school here and take the exams along the way?

If I decide to go for B2N2's suggestion of doing the FAA license rather than the EASA when in the US, will the EASA written exams I pass back home first translate to having passed the FAA written's when I go to the states to fly? If so, I see no problem with this except for the costs I'll incur back in Norway, and it seems this has a better chance of giving me a solid foundation than if I "gamble" on getting a good EASA-experienced CFI in the states? I also worry that relying on an EASA instructor might give me less priority or limited options during flight training, and that I might end up being the only one at my flight school undergoing EASA training while my peers are doing FAA (regarding socialization etc.).
Thanks for taking the time to help me

PS. I appreciate the first hand insights from your blog Bob, looks like a great time!