PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA PPL in the US
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2024, 20:06
papaW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EASA PPL in the US

Hi.
I am looking to finally get into flying by getting my PPL in the states. I'm from Norway and intend to go back here after my time in the US and fly here as a hobby, but would simply like to do the course itself abroad for some new experiences.

I understand that going to the states to get a license I will mainly be using in Europe is not ideal since I won't be able to fly on an FAA license in Europe. After having spoken to the Norwegian CAA I understand that converting an FAA PPL to an EASA PPL might be a bit of a hassle and naturally come with extra costs. My question then, is whether someone on here has any experience to share, in order to help me deciding. Should I be looking for an EASA approved ATO in the US, or do an FAA license and convert once I'm back home? I am somewhat lost trying to navigate this question, and would love for someone to give me some pointers, e.g. if I'm crazy to do an EASA license in the US because this or that.

I would also love some recommendations of particular schools (I'm thinking Texas, NM, AZ or maybe Florida), but any info is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance
Will