PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E55 Baron flips at Cowra
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2024, 22:17
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by SWMBO
I am no expert but your observation is what supports my post above. The wheels were pointing up when it found the ground due to a GA gone wrong. I doubt they even touched the runway in the whole sequence. It's rolled over from 50/100/150 or some height that allowed it to be inverted prior to hitting the ground. Maybe it was higher, I do not know for sure. But that is the best explanation for all the evidence so far. Not surprised they were hurt and very surprised it was not way worse.
That's why I had thought it unlikely to be a nose down/inverted landing, I couldn't see how they could have survived. But the picture definitely looks that way, with the nose cone taking the brunt of the impact and slide from the look of the grass/sod collected. I hope there is a final report to read, it will be interesting to see exactly what happened here. As pointed out above it's unlikely it was rolling or moving sideways or it would have cartwheeled. Although a sudden, single engine go-round at low altitude can be very dangerous, especially if the dead engine is not secured and windmilling (or idle power), anyone who's done multi engine training in higher powered machines would know.