PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blair, Hoon et al didn't lie. They honestly believed the dossier.
Old 30th Jan 2004, 18:06
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
At the end of the day the BBC, rightly or wrongly, backed their man, while the MOD threw their's to the wolves. I know who I would rather work for.

Now, what was the theme of that new RAF TV advert again? Oh yes, an organisation that cares for its members! JOKE!!!!

GrantT. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think a lot of people will disagree with you. It is the totally one sided nature of Huttons findings that most people find surprising/suspect etc. Yes the BBC made many errors, but the government have come out whiter than white. Lord Hutton has made his 'judgement' based on the evidence. But most of that evidence was given in open court and reported for all to hear, and make their own 'judgement'. Things such as Geoff Hoon saying he had nothing to do with the policy of releasing Kellys name, despite Alistair Campbells diary showing he was at the meeting where the descision was made, seem to have been ignored by Hutton. As were further disparities between ministers and civil servants testimony. 10 Downing street and Geoff Hoon made deliberate attempts to blacken Kellys name before the enquiry results came out, and paint him as the villian. It appears to me that most of the politicians involved were more interested in saving their own reputations/jobs than anything else. I can't imagine that thousands of MOD workers would come out onto the streets with 'WE LOVE YOU GEOFF' posters if Hoon had been 'forced' to resign!!

Nuff said!!

Edited for poor spelling.

Last edited by Biggus; 30th Jan 2004 at 18:46.