PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - White Waltham, & grass rwys
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 17:59
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab,

I've done almost all my flying from WW, and never come across reporting point E before! If I heard someone using it, I could probably use my imagination to work out that it was someone coming from a SVFR clearance, but I wouldn't know where they are beyond that. And I'm sure the CFI wouldn't approve!

Deano777,

As per everyone else's post. Call before you leave to find out the runway in use, and then you read up on the circuit procedure before you set off (assuming the runway in use doesn't change, of course). But basically, as long as you keep clear of any built-up areas or expensive-looking houses, you should be fine. Try to learn what roads to fly inside of - this will a) keep you out of the area where LHR traffic is going to be, and b) mean that you're at least flying roughly the same circuit as everyone else. If you were to fly there regularly, I'd suggest going up with one of the club's instructors - they will all be happy to show you all of the circuits, in your own aircraft, free of charge.

The grass runways are bumpy, and a little bit muddy, but nothing to worry about. The drainage at WW is pretty good. In the past, they have requested pilots to not land on the centre of the runway, since the the centre-lines were getting worn out, but I haven't seen any such requests this year.

As for lying under the London CTR, the airfield operates under an exemption which allows arriving, departing and circuit traffic to operate in the CTR without having to comply with the rules of Class A, but only inside the WW ATZ and up to a maximum of 1500' QNH. All the details are in the AIP, but if you follow all the published procedures then you will automatically be flying within the terms of this exemption, so you don't really need to worry about it.

The staff at the club are very friendly, so if you have any concerns then give them a call and they'll talk you through the procedures. Or else PM me and I'll offer any more advice I can.

FFF
----------------