PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking advice on an ambitious plan to fly commercial
Old 20th Apr 2024, 16:07
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bug Smasher
If you are colour blind, I'm afraid I can't comment, but if its myopia, I have a personal anecdote for you. Bearing in mind it's from 2018 so might have changed.

The Canadian Class 1 has - on paper - stricter requirements than the British. I assume from your mention of an optometrist that your medical problem is eyesight.

From personal experience back in 2018 the Canadians are a lot more lenient than the CAA and I was able to get a Class 1 with a note from an optometrist explaining that my retinas were not at danger of detaching (cost of note: $100 and a short eye examination.)

How old are you?

If you are younger than 35, you can go to Canada on a three-year working holiday visa, and with the right moves, get your Permanent Residency (the younger and higher-educated you are, the better.) You might be eligible for PR right now - check. The earlier you apply the better.

On a working holiday you can work for whoever you like, although it's hard to get a "proper" job like flying without PR. Once you've got PR, you will be better eligible for "proper" jobs. I met at least a couple of flying instructors and CPL candidates who had got PR and then landed their positions.

This will be easier immigration-wise than the USA.

Disclaimer: I'm (still) not a pilot - due to cost - and I don't have my PR (possibly my biggest regret in life, although it is one I am trying to rectify.)

HOWEVER: DON'T LET TRYING TO BECOME A PILOT CONSUME YOUR LIFE. I did, and I forgot to live mine. I don't entirely regret it but I would be in a much better position now if I hadn't. The advice by others to seek out another career and fly for fun is not without merit and you should consider it very carefully.
This ^^^ and all of this ^^^

Get both an FAA and a Canadian medical, the cost is peanuts compared to what you’re planning on spending.
Canada is relatively speaking easier then US as far as Immigration is concerned.
We can only point you in the right direction so many times.