PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar operating A320 Deathstar set themselves to go supernova in the medium term.
Old 30th Jan 2004, 17:21
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz

I have to take you to task on multi tasking and contractors with a small twist.

The Eeenie Weenie DPO and WNY operations were initially staffed by contract staff through Webster Limited. i was Airports Manager for both, but alsohaulded put the battery cart in the morning to wake up EW761, dropped the manual trim, checked in baggage and seat alolcated, helped load the catering and when needed loaded baggage into the F27-500.

My staff were all capable of the same apart from the contract porters who could do all of the above except drop a trim line as they had no W+B training.

Four of us could turn around an F27-500 or F28-4000 well under industry standard and way under turnaround time. BAe-146 only required one more hand on deck. We could quite comfotably get by with 3 aeroplanes on deck with 4 on hand and still meet or beat turnaround.

So where is the problem now? Sure we were gibbering wrecks as the last of the cluster left the ground, but we were good - bloody good and just simply because we adored our little airline and put our hearts and souls into it.

You should have no qualms about the bloke or girl who hands you the load and trim chucking bags, allocating seats and tagging baggage and even carrying the coffee can onto the aeroplane PROVIDING you trust him and he has been properly trained and loves his Airline too.

Please do not generalise, as the few real professionals left out there can even do a fuel drain for you and present it to you so you do not have to get soaking wet and smelly.

I just wish you had just once experienced an East West Devonport turnaround under stressful conditions. It may just have given you a whole new outlook on what is possible with the right crew around you. Contract or not.

Bottom line is the Airline we worked our butts off for eventually hired us, and that was the finest day I can remember. They put their money where their mouth was and committed to us, as we had commited to them. Something there for the new kids on the block I feel!

There is hope for the crews of today. They just need the Airline to get under their skin and to be the bets they can for their girl.

If we can get that back into the industry we have moved back 20 years in outlook and forward 40 years in service level.

Best all

EWL