PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cherokee Lands on NY's Southern State Parkway
Old 19th Apr 2024, 01:45
cncpc

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GregAmy
I had a discussion with bro-in-law today, who's wondering why so many highway landings/crashes lately (Caravan out of IAD, Challenger into APF, now PA28 out of FRG). I have a theory (PPSEL instrument).

Prior to recent history, instructors have BEATEN into our heads that if we have an engine failure on departure, we should land straight ahead. Find a hole and stuff it in there, ungracefully if need be. Sell the airplane to the insurance company and survive. But for years and years and years many of our fellow pilots just can't resist the urge to turn back, "the impossible turn". It's hard to look over your left shoulder, see a bunch of open land over there, and just ignore it. I'd like to think I would, but who knows...

My theory (well, it's a hypothesis)...recent events have now demonstrated to us that landing on a highway is survivable. It's do-able. It's a valid option. I listened to the ATC recording of this guy and there was no hesitation - I'm going to the highway. He was based there, and he'd thought about it. He was prepared. And he executed.

For me, this now makes three demonstrations that this option is survivable (well, except for the Challenger crew...but they were oh so close).

Would 667 have tried "the impossible turn" before IAD and APF? Who knows. But I have to think that these three cases cement to me that finding someplace straight ahead is the way to go. Even if "straight aheed" is the Southern State Parkway...ballsy move, for sure, as I have a hard time DRIVING on the damned thing at times...

Another win.
Whoa! When, since the Wright Brothers, has it ever been a subject of debate whether landing on a highway is survivable? Is landing on a runway survivable?