PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preflight Checks, Have Your Say!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 15:37
Orville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDG.
You are correct and it is precisely that which we are lobbying to prevent from happening in other work places. And as has already been pointed out, CASA have a few reservations as to the way VB are compying with there current position.

30/30 Green
I think you may have missed the point of Vortsa’s last entry, he was clearly pointing out that what he found during his latest transit/ pre-flight, would not have been evident when the crew carried out their pre-flight, some 30 or more minutes later. I must agree with his assessment that these types of events can lead to more serious incidents down the track.

My point is not that a Pilot can’t be trained to carryout this task because I believe they already do and are extremely competent at it but that an extra set of eyes can sometimes pick up what the other misses and this would and does go both ways.

With your questioning of Fordran understanding of who is ultimately responsible please read the following extract from a ???????????? Company Systems Manual. Quite clear and specific, yes another person may carry out these duties but ultimately still the responsibility of the LAME.

And my understanding on a/c that still use Flight Engineers and right up until they were removed from the others the Pilot delegated the F/E to do the walk around, this may possibly be why some pilots don’t have the experience required. I have also noted that on 747-400 it is common to see the second officer doing the pre-flight, also delegated by the Pilot.( unfortunately there experience on large commercial a/c is limited)

These are but a few extracts only, the actual Transit pre-flight check is more area specific. ie; detailed inspections
Company Manual ( Airline withheld)
A. The LAME in charge of the aircraft is responsible to see that all persons assigned to the task of arrival, departure and marshalling of aircraft:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
B. The Departure Engineer in charge of the push-out and departure of aircraft similarly accepts the responsibility for the guidance of the aircraft and for the avoidance of obstructions during this manoeuvre. This responsibility ceases following the "ALL CLEAR TO TAXI" acknowledgment from the Flight Crew of the aircraft.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
M. Engineer to carry out Pre-flight check/Transit check as required for that aircraft type.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
N On completion of Pre-flight check/Transit check enter cabin, review cabin log and rectify defects as required.[COLOR=darkblue]