PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preflight Checks, Have Your Say!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 14:07
30/30 Green Light

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fordran,of the issues you raised the only one which would require an engineer (licensed) is Log Certification.All other tasks can be, and in a lot of cases are,legally carried out by a "suitably trained" person.That person could well be an AME.
Vortsa,most of the items you listed wrt KAL relate to basic training and corporate culture,not the ability of the individuals to carry out the tasks etc.
Orville,are you saying that it's not possible to train pilots to do preflights which involve inspection for those problems you have illustrated?I hope not.
The " extra pair of eyes" was an issue that was raised by Flight Engineers many years ago in defence of their presence on the Flight Deck,and we know what good it did them.
It is my understanding,and I am willing to be corrected,that there is no "transit inspection" in the Boeing documentation,or indeed in the operator's MSM's.If this is so, then what " approved data" would you use to carry out this "inspection" to,as this would become scheduled maintenance?Would this then mean that the individual might be open to action from the authorities for carrying out unauthorised maintenance,and where would it leave your employer wrt their Certificate of Approval? Anybody out there?