PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technical Faults Cause Most Accidents
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 07:58
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

True Lu, but each part of the industry acts independently. I know of no case, in any of the four operators that I've worked for over the past thirty four years, where we failed to act on engineering information directly concerning air safety as soon as the information was received. That is to say, maintenance action was already in hand long before any mandatory action was issed from any regulator. In several cases it was an operator that discovered an unsafe condition and initiated corrective action in conjunction with the aircraft manufacturer.

I know that not all operators are the same; some that operate on the margins and shave their costs to the bone may not act until they are forced to by regulators. If low-cost operations force maintenance departments to carry out only mandatory inspections and modifications, then standards of maintenance will fall and accidents caused by technical failures will rise. That's something for the customers to think about when they buy their cheap tickets - as in all commercial transactions, you get what you pay for.