PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NDB approaches in light aircraft
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2024, 11:51
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Well done for teaching the basics, sir, but Desmond (ex Catalina WW2 instructor, ex CFS postwar) also warned that a little learning can be dangerous too. I thought I had it sussed but after a dozen exercises I realised I hadn't, and it took plenty of practice in my own Arrow with our handy radio station until I became proficient, though all I had was the basic ADF equipment -- no way could I have afforded an RMI. With today's flying costs plus approach fees and landing fees I could just about afford flying to the beacon and back to land again.

Looking back over decades since then I think the IMC rating should be regarded as minimum to get oneself out of IMC or even better a good fright so one avoids it in the first place. I knew all about icing until the first time I encountered it for real (one inch a minute) at FL80. As the engine shook itself out of its mountings and the controls became sloppy I was absolutely terrified even though I knew FL was around 3000ft where it thawed in seconds and I never risked going near such conditiions again. Not so a friend with the IMC rating who set off in his RNAV-equipped Cherokee 180 with an offset waypoint, whatever that was. He evidently did not know either as they found him next day on a foggy hillside, fortunately without the three passengers he was due to collect in his pre-Wingly charter operation.