PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Weather-Guesser's Memories with the RAF
Old 12th Apr 2024, 18:46
RubiC Cube

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetset 88
Met Men (or should I now say people?) - as I can't think of any alliterative term for both sexes to please the 'woke inspectors'.
Most enjoyable read of all these reminiscences from LB and other contribtors.

They say that there is no other job in the world where you can be wrong so often and yet still keep your job, as that of a Met Man. Be that as it may it was always a pleasure visiting the Met Offices down route and getting the verbal person-to-person wx briefings eastwards to Kai Tak and south to Gib too.

Just one 21st century question now........ The USA is probably the only country in the world still using Fahrenheit and even they went over to Celsius for aviation, a long while back...... (was it in the nineties?)
My question is, why oh why, do certain tv and radio Beeb weather presenters still persist in giving out fahrenheit temperatures in their broadcasts? Don't tell me it's for oldies who never converted when we went metric in the UK in about 1972. Even I learnt celsius/centigrade when educated back in the sixties. Presumably that classifies me as an 'oldy'? And .....
adding another Victor Meldrew whinge, why do they waste valuable seconds in their broadcasts telling us what the weather has been like earlier that day when, if we are still alive and breathing , we know already? It's like knowing how much fuel you've used, rather than concentrating on how much you've got left.
went skiing in New Hampshire once, checked forecast before we flew, I thought minus 10 wouldn’t be too bad, failed to remember that was Fahrenheit and we were very cold!

Last edited by RubiC Cube; 12th Apr 2024 at 20:56. Reason: Error