PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University of Newcastle Aviation Program
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2004, 05:02
Condorflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
University of Newcastle Aviation Degree

Lancer, you must have a good insight in proceedings and I am not saying you are totally wrong. What I am saying is that the number of programs were to be slashed in an effort to make the University more effective and efficient. Yes, there was the potential of conflict of interest considering that the review board was chaired by a competitor and still had at least one competitor who wanted to market an Aviation "Mickey Mouse" program which left all the aviation instruction and training to flying schools (mainly BAE) and, after additional not aviation related studies, handed out an Aviation degree. It suited BAE and the University in question since BAE could market their services claiming their training leads to a degree and BAE fed the University with additional international (full fee paying) students. I am not denying there was a staffing problem.

I am sure the new venture will possibly be even better as it will be more appropriate for modern times. The aviation program itself will be an industry program and not a degree program but at the end students will be qualified to straight away enrol into a higher degree course. The school employed a new staff member a few years ago who is an ex European military and airline pilot and is an experienced aviation teacher with even formal teaching qualifications and, as far as I know, he is now in charge.

Let's see what happend.