PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747SP numbers vs operators
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2024, 14:02
rog747

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mustafagander
Hey rog,
The QF SPs had C2 engines. The D4s were over the thrust limit certified. It actually gave QF a place to hang D4s which were getting a bit tired and could no longer make the D4 spec.
Originally the WLG operation forbade any derate or assumed temp operation so all T/O was full thrust. Imagine keeping the beast under control when your initial altitude limit was 3,000ft and you had a light SP??? Exciting!!! Flap limit speeds were a challenge.
One very frisky aircraft even at high TOW. The fuel feed configs at max TOW were simply a nightmare for the FEO.
How simply wonderful to hear the stories from someone who was 'there' and flew it too.
Thank you so much for sharing.
I was trying my best to ensure the RB211 Info I gave was correct as I could, as I kept reading variations on the engine types fitted from new build and then my source said that in 1982 the pair of SP's had the B or D variant engines fitted.

I flew on SAA SP's a few times - once was just the JNB-CPT hop and I was lucky to be sat upstairs in Biz Class. A lovely flight.

Thanks again.

and to AnotherFSO - what awesome video clips !!!
The following users liked this post: