PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British RAF crash in Detroit, Michigan in the '50s...
Old 12th Apr 2024, 13:00
TP16882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRASH

Originally Posted by AlexisDetroit
There was an airshow crash in Detroit circa 1957 but I can't remember the details. I believe it was a De Havilland delta wing type aircraft. I've done several searches for said incident without coming up with any info.

Over the years pieces of the plane have been found in residential yards.

Anyone know about this incident?
I was 5 years old and lived on Lakewood street in Detroit which was 1 block from the crash. The plane crashed on Harsens Island, which is actually a street and a small piece of land that juts out in the water off Lake St.Clair (which is why the street is an island). Being 5 years old, I remember the crash, I was in my living room when the plane crashed, it was in the daytime either late morning or afternoon, I don't know, but the Earth shook upon impact and the sound was as a bomb exploding! Following impact, I remember sirens from fire trucks, ambulances, police etc., racing past my house. I didn't see them, but remember hearing all the sounds. My mother quickly grabbed me in a panic (not knowing what was happening) and took me to one of the bedrooms with my older sisters until she could determine what happened. Sadly, all on board were killed and the one drowned in Lake St. Clair. I don't believe anyone died on the ground, perhaps due to mid-day and people were at work.