PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2024, 23:54
Storkie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the Hump

Originally Posted by Brian 48nav
I don't have memories being a baby-boomer, but I can recommend the book 'First in the Indian skies" by Norman L R Franks, the history of 31 Sqn. 31 were equipped with Dakotas and involved with supporting the Chindits and also flying 'The Hump' to China.
One of their pilots, Mike Vlasto ( who used to live in my then village in Somerset ) was IIRC the first to land a Dakota in a jungle clearing and take-off again with wounded soldiers.
Another book on my shelf mentions Vlasto and I note that your father is mentioned several times - 'War in the Wilderness' by Tony Redding.
Just before my father Flying Officer David Margerison died in 2013 I remembered that he had told me that one day after landing at RAF Kunming he was met by an American Officer, who said your driving to which my father replied that he did not have a licence the American said that he was not to worry, and that he just should not stop if he knocked any Chinese over! On the way to the base he noticed a camera man that was shooting a film, and he said he often wondered what the film was about. I did some research, and found 'Over The Hump' in which he appears as the jeep driver. I went to the home, and showed the film to my Dad. He saw WCo 'Flossy' Wyatt whom my father had flown with as Wop Ag on Wellingtons early in the war, and then Sq Ldr Vlasto oh yes he said that's old Vlasto, and then he said where did you get this. I said that it's in the IWM oh he said he always wondered. My father was at RAF DUM DUM and for about a year he was dropping supplies. Then he was put on the VIP crew of Lt General Adrian Carton de Wiatt. He was a sergeant and the general called him in one day, and said that all his crew were officers. At that point my father thought he was for the chop, but he said so I'm sending you to be commissioned, and that he would have to find his own way back to blighty!
The pilot in charge of the VIP crew was Flt Lt W. J. Noble 'Paddy' from Belfast. He had been a spitfire pilot and is named on the London Battle of Britain Memorial. After the war he became a GP in Sutton, Surrey he died in 1995. He used to write to my father for a while after the war. I wonder if he has family? As a young lad 18 - 23. I was an airman assistant air traffic controller, and then left to do degrees and lots of other things. Time has induced something of a glow over that period of my life, however at the time I was only concerned with achieving objectives in education. I think this is the way of youth.
Dr Paul Margerison PhD
The following 3 users liked this post by Storkie: