PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Labour take on Defence - City AM article
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2024, 16:12
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Does anyone publish what percentage of GDP is spent on other big ticket items in Government - 3%can sound alot or a little without other references

For example what percentage do we spend on the NHS-a failing NHS is surely a much bigger threat to life of the average Brit than a loony Russian.

What percentage do we spend on our hapless transport infrastructure

It does seem to be sensible to spend some more money 1 percent more or one third more going from 2 to 3 . But will we spend it on the right things. A couple of carriers that don seem yo to work do not look like they were a good buy -how many armed drones could you buy/make from the cost of just one.

i know little about the military world but tanks seem to be going the way of horses and maybe even choppers too, both can be taken out by one guy with the right weapon .

Then there's people, I would guess there is absolutely zero chance of conscripting any one and who would fight for a country governed by the current lot who would be too busy steering defense contracts towards companies their brother, mother next door neighbour has shares in or buying dud body armour from China to resell to the MOD.-in fact how much stuff have we actually bought from China and is any of it in secondary level military use? How many 18-30 y/o olds would fight for a 21st century Britain with all it sproblems and Brexit betrayal or would disenfranchised young white males we read so much about think Vlad, Trump Xi etc , or those like him , are their kind of guy anyway.

Overall a very difficult situation the only solace i can think of if anything really does heat up is that our serving men and women will genuinely do their best as they have done throughout history