PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth-5
Thread: Bournemouth-5
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2024, 06:40
rog747

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
If the airport spend £1m on shuttle bussing passengers to their cars in distant car-parks within their boundary, instead of spending half that on a shuttle service to the train station then I can’t take them seriously n any of their environmental targets.

BOH will require at least double the car-parking land currently in use in 2025/26.
Where will it come from if they don’t get permission for a multi-story?
I do admire your candor about folk 'using the trains' and those folk taking a funded shuttle bus from the station....
But,
Have you seen the state of the Railways down here locally ?

SWR are a disgrace, and Network Rail struggle to keep up with simply cutting down trees that seem to constantly fall blocking the lines (In between signal failures, flooding, train faults and oh yes...Strikes, Work to Rule, and staff shortages)
It's a MESS!
The Airport catchment area is not just along the SWR mainline from Weymouth or Southampton.
It's far reaching and those folk have no rail connections.
TUI, Jet2 and Ryanair customers on the whole will get dropped off, or park their car, or come by Taxi to BOH.

The Airport with the fantastic public transport connection is SOU with their own railway station, but they still suffer now from the increasing woes of the Train services.

As MarkeyD says:
An on-Airport Hotel is something for the future, and I agree the state (and capacity) of the Car Parks needs to be addressed PDQ for next summer.
The car parks need a serious makeover, people are not too happy about wading through floods, and dragging your rather nice Samsonite through the gravel and mud to get to the Terminal is not a good look.