PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group Training Academy at Wellcamp
Old 10th Apr 2024, 01:48
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by jackyboi
You make a good point about sausage factories I agree airlines would like that. But I mean in terms of going to GA after graduating from a factory, I'd rather be taught from someone older with a lot more experience having thousands of hours in GA (I do understand that its hard to find these people and they aren't as readily available obviously), just if I were to choose a different option that's what I'd look for.
If someone wants a career in GA after graduating initial flight school then I’d say to them go learn at a GA oriented school not an airline academy.

The ability to effectively teach is really independent of experience or background. I’ve seen instructors with 1,000s of hours of GA experience attempt to teach and they don’t get through to the student, nor are they teaching for the right reasons.

but talking amongst the group to all the friends in the course, you hear how people performed in sims and their interview and it was clearly below yours or others and they still got ahead.
I wouldn’t take someone’s personal assessment of a sim check or an interview as a definite conclusion on how they performed. I’ve spoken to people who said they didn’t think they performed well in a sim ride or interview - then got the job. And those who said they aced the sim ride or interview - and didn’t get the job. Maybe people who did well were harsh on themselves, and people who did poorly refused to accept they had done anything wrong. It’s only HR and the recruiting team who see the full picture of how someone has performed in the recruitment process.

Your last point yeah I should have done more research prior and I'm sure you can target courses with a much higher chance or guaranteed job. I would most likely go for those cadetships where you have a guaranteed job with a GA company after your training.
Yeah alright - but a guaranteed first job or a career? It’s a long term investment. Yeah doing a Rex or Sharp cadet program may be a guaranteed job, but the QF Academy is a 50-70% chance of a job within the group straight up and then I would imagine priority in recruitment for the rest.

Given Rex pilots are applying to QF at a very high rate I’d say aim initially for where you want to be in the long run.