PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Weather-Guesser's Memories with the RAF
Old 9th Apr 2024, 13:58
Jetset 88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LB.
Enjoying all this reminiscing, all thanks to you starting this thread.

Question for you.... I presume that in 1976 your posting was at 'The College of Knowledge' ?
Although I was not blue-blooded enough to have gone through there myself in training days, I did attend the College in April that year for the first CFS course after it'd moved from Rissie. Just my luck as I lived at Brize and was then at Sleaford Tech as an enforced retiree from Britannias thanks to the Govt Defence cuts.
After the College CFS ground school, we left after a couple of months for Leeming, where the transition to the Bulldog took place. That summer of no rain and heat was spent inside the greenhouse canopy of a Bulldog or my tatty Mini flogging up and down the A1 back to West Oxon, where I'd just bought the first two layers of bricks in a house before the defence cuts changed my life somewhat. Grrh.

We must have bumped into each other that summer somewhere I'm sure.
Looking at a course photo recently I see that Flight Magazine's David Learmount was also named at the end of my row, so he must have gone on to the JP and remained in Lincs for the whole course.
Not so happy days I'm afraid. How had I ever flown before with knowing about Reynold's Number ?