PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group Training Academy at Wellcamp
Old 9th Apr 2024, 11:22
jackyboi

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
For the opinions above. I agree with RWY16's comments, I have already paid off 2/3 off my debt I paid in lump sum payments to quickly reduce debt to enable greater borrowing power for business and personal loans for opportunities im currently pursuing.

To answer Dr Dre that's good to hear that it has gotten better. I was only of the earlier groups. I have heard a lot of personal stories from others there who struggled to get jobs that wasn't the case for me very fortunately in GA, so I am grateful for that. Caused a bit of stress for fellows friends who were in the same course. You make a good point about sausage factories I agree airlines would like that. But I mean in terms of going to GA after graduating from a factory, I'd rather be taught from someone older with a lot more experience having thousands of hours in GA (I do understand that its hard to find these people and they aren't as readily available obviously), just if I were to choose a different option that's what I'd look for. I didn't have access to qantas recruiting staff criteria and results, but we all had access to everyones training results in our course, that was very transparent, instructors/teachers brought those up in front of us multiple times and its very easy to see where everyone ranks. In terms of the actual HR stuff from qantas though of course they keep it confidential but talking amongst the group to all the friends in the course, you hear how people performed in sims and their interview and it was clearly below yours or others and they still got ahead. Im not saying it's just me, but there were others in my course who didn't make it and felt the same way after everyone shared their experiences. Your last point yeah I should have done more research prior and I'm sure you can target courses with a much higher chance or guaranteed job. I would most likely go for those cadetships where you have a guaranteed job with a GA company after your training.

For morno - Im not hanging **** on any candidates, we were all very close basically a family for year. We were all very close and transparent. I'm still really good friends with the majority of my course and a lot of them who went on to subsidiaries,I have nothing against them and commend them. I know a lot of them were much more smarter and quality candidates than me and I don't fault anyone but myself. I was trying to give a perspective from the inside, as I feel as though the academy is very glamorised, and just to know that you are a customer when you go there and not to forget it. I love flying and I continue to fly privately at the moment fairly often. You're right maybe I'm not cut out to be in the airline industry. But after working GA for nearly 2 years I understand what it's like now and the truths or realities of the industry. Im not sure why you're laughing at me for bringing up disrespect in GA. Do you not think you should be respected when you go to work, and I don't mean treated like a god, I mean treated like a human, respected, spoken to with decency, not micromanaged all the time, not appreciated for extra effort you put into work that goes above and beyond your job. You may laugh, but you don't want to be the one building someone else's empire and getting underpaid and treated terribly for hard effort. Spending years to work your way up to a small airline as a first officer and still get paid basically the same as a tradie. Judging by your join date im assuming you may already be in the airlines and that's great, but people fail to mention the grind to get where you get. The low pay and underappreciation with the responsibility and stress you have in GA is not worth getting paid the award or near it, where cleaners are making more than you an hour. I understand you have to start small and grind to move up, but I wanted to give my perspective in that I personally don't think it's worth it. All the time away from family, poor pay, extra study you need to put it beyond work hours, wasting your youth. When you can build a business, earn the money that gives you a comfortable sufficient lifestyle and fly privately if that is your passion. I was not trying to be aggressive in my first post. But yes I do agree I think my friends which I love who I met in GA they are a lot tougher than me, they have a different mindset, they are happy to sacrifice a lot for what they want to achieve in. their career, I totally understand that. But for me I'm not willing to sacrifice reduce pay, which means I can't start compounding that until later in life, being away from friends and family for so long.