PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Weather-Guesser's Memories with the RAF
Old 9th Apr 2024, 06:45
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
The Long Hot Summer.
The summer of ’76 is famous for its drought, its longevity and its sustained heat. One of my perks was to nominate, host, wine and dine the guest speaker at the end of the Stream One course. By this time J S Sawyer was the top scientist in the Office, title Director of Research, and also the Director-General’s deputy. As his one-time gopher and fixer I dared to invite him, and he came and delivered. It was a marvellous summary of the progress made in producing better and better numerical models and predictions during the last twenty years.
He was asked “never mind that, when will it rain?”
“It will, but I cannot see it happening within the next week or so”. Two days later the heavens opened.
Weather keeps you humble.
RAFG next stop.
The miracle of that longed for rain was ascribed at the time to the appointment by Prime Minister Callaghan of Dennis Howell as Minister of Drought in August. Severe thunderstorms resulted and the Government rightly bathed in the gratitude of the nation. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's! As you say, LB, humble works best.

Regarding progress in Meteorology, it is remarkable from a consumer's viewpoint. Met lectures at 242 OCU Thorney Island revolved around local phenomena, for instance prevailing winds. For instance, the Bora, we were told, once caused the Royal Navy to drag its anchors in Valetta Harbour. Any ideas of global air circulation was clearly beyond the imagination of aircrew in the 1960s, so we were spared such concepts. Presumably it was a concept shared amongst the cognoscenti though?