PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B58 Gear Up at Gold Coast Airport (Coolangatta)
Old 8th Apr 2024, 19:14
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Technically, the 55 Baron did have the A55, B55, C55, etc as sub variants…
To be really pedantic (who? me?), the variants were 95-A55, 95-B55, 95-C55, 95-D55 and E55 (Beech dropped the "95" suffix commencing with the E55)

Now, a question please - what do we think about turning off the electrics (in the dark) on short finals? Not a criticism, but I've been mulling over this ever since I saw the videos...

[QUOTE][The motor and gear box are in the spar box behind the front seats./QUOTE]
43 inches - a great video thanks. Note that the wing is effectively further forward on the short Barons (as opposed to the 58), so that the gearbox is UNDER the front seats. There was a case in Perth around 1968 where a 95-B55 Baron (VH-CFO I think) was landed with the gear half extended and one of the shafts snapped and punched up through the seats! It's a shame it didn't stab the idiot flying it in the bum; he was aware that he was about to run out of fuel, had an issue when he selected the gear and in his panic failed to complete the emergency gear extension procedure.

Last edited by Dora-9; 8th Apr 2024 at 19:26. Reason: Added more.