PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different take on Vuichard
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2024, 07:00
605carsten

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
No, the problem is that helicopters are far more difficult to model than FW and although you can make a generic model, accurately reproducing a particular aircraft requires accurate data from a fully instrumented real aircraft and no-one is going to pay to explore VRS in an expensive helicopter.

VR is a great training tool for some things but it would suffer from the same issues - accurately reproducing handling qualities in hazardous scenarios.
yes, I agree.. in the fixed wing sims its the exact same issue… the FM at the outer edges of the envelope are not always like in real life!
I dont know how many times I have sat in a Level-D sim thinking that the damn thing does not fly like the real thing. My point is that its better than nothing as its akin to not teaching spin recovery to PPL students except have a quick chat about it. Same here. VR and modern tech has its advantages in certain training exercises in the same way you have to teach upset recovery in a real airplane as being upside down in real life is more unsettling than in a sim, but again doing all this in a Citabria is a whole lot easier than a 737also, so somewhat limited use also.