PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Weather-Guesser's Memories with the RAF
Old 7th Apr 2024, 15:47
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Although I was never in the RAF I am really enjoying these pictures of the service taken through the lens of those who provide their best interpretation of our fickle climate.
My story of RAF Met comes from the bottom of the food chain where I am sure that some of you intrepid aviators started your flying career. ATC gliding.
Early one Saturday morning I left home to drive the thirty miles or so to Old Sarum for my regular duty as a lowly Cat C gliding instructor. I started my journey from Poole in thick fog and it was even more foggy when I arrived. From the Gliding School office on the ground floor of the Control Tower I couldn't see the airfield but, as the first instructor to arrive, I called the nearest RAF Met Office at Upavon for the official RAF gliding forecast. What happened then was that whoever answered the phone would read off the data from his copy of the forecast. My job was to write the same data on my identical form. When he finished describing a really good forecast I said that it looks like our fog was going to clear very quickly. "Fog?". he asked. "You've got fog?"
The following 2 users liked this post by pulse1: