PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different take on Vuichard
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2024, 13:23
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by RVDT
You can do the same these days with any Airbus Helionix equipped aircraft automatically which will hold ~ +- 1 metre with good DGPS data.

It will also drop you straight into VRS if you engage GTC-H (Ground Trajectory Control - Hover) from forward flight with a low power setting as engaging GTC-H does not automatically engage a Vertical axis.
You need relatively calm conditions of course. Not an issue if you have taken the time to actually read the AFCS FOBN.
Well that would take all the fun out of it!
The system was pre GPS and it was all hand flown.

When I originally talked about it with reference to entering VRS from a stable hover in these specific circumstances, ( very stable hover, OGE, extended time in the hover, no wind, no turbulence or down draughts etc) more than a few folks violently disagreed and stated that you could not enter VRS from a stable hover in calm wind conditions. Since then I have seen some of these same folks state with some authority that you can

One thing I never encountered was any sort of violent aircraft movements, unusual attitudes, torque fluctuations or vibrations. Just sloppy controls and an exhilarating rate of descent which could be increased with an increase in power. I sometimes spent up to 2 minutes in this flight regime as I had to descend back to ground level to reacquire the laser dot again anyway. I would exit the VRS with a 45 degree exit with power applied…worked every time. You would feel a bump as you exited (much like flying through your wake when doing. a 360 steep turn ) . Fun daze.

Last edited by albatross; 8th Apr 2024 at 14:21.