PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Weather-Guesser's Memories with the RAF
Old 6th Apr 2024, 16:02
langleybaston

Received 750 Likes on 259 Posts
Nugget 90:
Two days later we flew on Exercise Solinus II that involved some 30 Beverly, Argosy and Hastings aeroplanes flying in trail at night around most of the Cyprus coastline before depositing our loads of parachutists or stores on (or near) a remote DZ. If you have never taken part in such an exercise then you haven't lived!

I did the mass brief!
In retrospect it was a very risky job to give a baby forecaster. A mile up the hill was Main Met. Office Eastern Med., one C Met O [about senior Wg Cdr Messing rates], his deputy, five SSOs of long experience, and a host of helpers. Meanwhile next to ATC was the airfield office [14 ft high hollyhocks outside, refreshed with nocturnal urine] in which a very junior and inexperienced LB was frantically genning up on 'Met. for Parachuting' [the booklet was still gospel when I retired]. My opinion is that one of the big boys should have got off his arse and taken responsibility.

Watching the Beverleys lumber out with clamshell doors removed, my heart was in my mouth. There a few broken legs and a few bent Landys but no fatalities. No thanks to my colleagues.

Bearing this in mind, when I became the man up the hill I insisted on doing or checking the drops forecasts and the Hercules special weapon movements.

Last edited by langleybaston; 6th Apr 2024 at 16:13. Reason: for **** read shot
The following 3 users liked this post by langleybaston: