PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A different take on Vuichard
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2024, 19:31
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by albatross
I will probably get a lot of flak for this but this is a combination of 2 posts on the old discussion.

I am posting a couple of photos just to relieve the monotony.

I was doing a job which entailed a lot of climbing, descending and hovering at high altitudes AGL.
I discovered that it is possible to enter VRS from a steady hover.
You can do the same these days with any Airbus Helionix equipped aircraft automatically which will hold ~ +- 1 metre with good DGPS data.

It will also drop you straight into VRS if you engage GTC-H (Ground Trajectory Control - Hover) from forward flight with a low power setting as engaging GTC-H does not automatically engage a Vertical axis.
You need relatively calm conditions of course. Not an issue if you have taken the time to actually read the AFCS FOBN.

Ground Trajectory Command in Hover mode (GTC.H)

The Ground Trajectory Command in Hover (GTC.H) mode is designed assist the pilot in acquiring and maintaining hover.
  • – When engaged from forward flight, the mode will acquire zero ground speed.
  • – In hover, the GTC.H mode maintains zero ground speed and constant heading when the cyclic stick and pedals are released.

The GTC.H can significantly reduce the pilot workload to maintain an accurate hover position, especially if the visual references are poor.

The GTC.H mode does not manage the vertical axis. The pilot must manually control the height/altitude or add a vertical mode (e.g. ALT or CRHT) when operating in GTC.H mode.

When GTC.H is engaged at a low power setting, failure to manage the vertical axis could result in a vertical descent and possible entry into vortex ring conditions!