PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veteran's Cards
Thread: Veteran's Cards
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2024, 17:38
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Paying Guest
I see from the Electoral Commission web site that the veterans card is not listed as one of the government issued photo IDs acceptable for proof of identity when voting. On the other hand it did get me a useful discount at the Kennedy Space Center last week!
Good to know.

In the usual kicking the can down the road mode, adding MOD Form 100 to the list of accepted IDS will only occur when all pre-2018 veterans who ask for one have got it. As it would be an SI under the affirmative procedure (presumably as proof of ID for voting is controversial), I can't see it being actioned in the near or even medium future. I suspect it was left out by oversight or sloppy drafting.

Rosie Duffield MP, Labour, Canterbury

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what discussions he has had with Cabinet colleagues on the validity of veterans' ID cards as a form of identification in the May local elections.

Dr Andrew Murrison, Conservative, South West Wiltshire (Parliamentary Under-Secretary)

Answered on 23 March 2023

Currently, Veterans’ Recognition Cards are not on the list of approved photographic ID for use in polling stations. This list is set in secondary legislation and further legislation would be required to add the Veterans’ Recognition Cards. A comprehensive list of the accepted forms of identification is available at the following link: https://www.electoralcommission.org....forms-photo-id

Consideration will be given in the future to including the Veteran’s Recognition Card on the list of approved ID for use in polling stations, once the rollout of cards to pre-2018 veterans is complete. However, in the meantime, there is a wide range of different types of ID on the list, so a lack of Recognition Card should not act as a barrier to veterans being able to vote.